UCLA Voting Rights Project Summer 2022 Legal Internship (Remote)
Application Deadline: January 17, 2022
The VRP seeks current law students of diverse backgrounds for its 2022 Summer Legal Internship, a 10-week remote internship with an in-person professional development retreat at our offices in Los Angeles, CA. To promote equity and diversity in public service legal professions, the VRP is pleased to offer summer interns stipends ranging from $4,000 to $4,500, depending on class standing.
In previous years, summer interns assisted in drafting two briefs to the U.S. Supreme Court, helped prepare staff attorneys for court arguments, drafted motions in numerous court proceedings, conducted analysis that was cited to uphold voting rights in federal courts, and co-authored published law review articles. Apply today.
- 10-week remote internship runs from May 23, 2022 through July 29, 2022
- Fellows must be available to work a minimum of 35 hours per week
- Program includes an all expenses paid professional development retreat in Los Angeles, CA during which fellows will receive training in foundational skills related to legal and policy research and analysis, legal and academic writing, and trial proceedings, while gaining further exposure to careers in public service law.
The VRP seeks candidates who:
- Are currently enrolled in good standing within an accredited U.S. law school;
- Have a strong interest in upholding voting rights and a demonstrated commitment to social justice;
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Have experience working on policy and legal issues impacting U.S. Latino communities and other communities of color and/or firsthand lived experience; and
- Show strong promise for a career in public service law.
Summer 2022 Legal Interns will receive:
- A stipend of $4,000 – $4,500 for completion of the 10-week internship
- A fully-funded trip to Los Angeles, CA–inclusive of travel, lodging and meals–to participate in a professional development retreat
- Unique, hands-on training in legal research and analysis; trial practice; voting rights policy research and academic writing; and community-based advocacy campaigns
- Access to the UCLA LPPI and VRP network of legal scholars, faculty, practicing attorneys, policy experts, and community partners
- Continued engagement with UCLA LPPI and VRP, including exclusive invitations to policy forums and convenings, as program alumni
How to Apply
Candidates must submit the following materials via our online application:
- Cover letter explaining their interest in voting rights and a career in public service law
- Resume with two professional references
- Writing sample of no more than 10 pages, preferably a document with a non-objective legal argument
Please combine the above documents into one PDF file labeled “VRP-LastName_FirstInitial-InternshipTerm.” For example: VRP-Sanchez_J-Summer2022
>>> Complete your application today <<<
Note: our application deadline has been extended to 11:59 pm PDT on January 17, 2022.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and finalists will be invited to interview via video conference. Final notifications are expected to be sent by February 7, 2022.
For questions about the Summer 2022 Legal Internship, please contact:
Juana H. Sanchez
Director of Programs, UCLA Latino Policy and Politics Initiative